Welcome to Deerfield Public Schools, District #109!
Engage, Inspire, Empower
District 109 students will excel and contribute when they have the knowledge and skills to be:
• Lifelong, self-directed learners
• Critical and creative thinkers
• Effective communicators
• Collaborative team members
• Respectful and responsible members of society
Since 1847 we have been in the business of serving children and the community! We have a proud history of public education for students in grades PK-8. We serve children from most of the village of Deerfield, parts of the villages of Riverwoods & Bannockburn, and for some children who live in the city of Highland Park.
Please take some time to review the district's website and please call upon me or a member of the staff should you have any questions about the district or one of our schools.
If you are new to the community, please call Audrey at extension 7240, or Cathy at extension 7238 for information, and please feel welcome to drop by the District Center in person to get information.
Our own Sue Ferdon (Techn. Coach at South Park)
And Click on READ
Also ... see some interesting information from the:
Deerfield Historical Society Webpage:
Early Deerfield Area History
Trader and trapper John Kinzie Clark (1792-1865) arrives at Fort Dearborn.One of Deerfield's most memorable pioneers, he is raised by Native Americanswho call him nonimoa or Prairie Wolf. Hired to carry mail by horsebackbetween Chicago and Milwaukee, he stops in Deerfield with provisions forearly settlers and later moves to Deerfield. Clark is buried in the DeerfieldCemetery.
On December 3, Illinois, part of the Illinois Territory since 1810, becomesthe 21st state of the Union.
The Ott family of Baldenheim, Alsace, Johann Jacob Ott, 48, and his wifeMaria Elizabetha put their hay wagon; rack and trunks in a shipíshold and spend 40 days crossing the Atlantic. On arrival, parents andchildren Jacob, Caspar, Christian, Lorenz, Philip, Magdalena first settlein Pennsylvania near the Allegheny River.
Jesse Wilmot comes by flatboat up the North Branch of the Chicago Riverand spends the winter alone as he†scouts the area.
Daniel Wright (1778-1873), Lake County's first settler, buildsa log cabin just west of Ryerson Woods.
In the spring, a group arrives following the Des Plaines River. JacobCadwell, his wife, five sons and two daughters settle at the corner oftwo trails now known as Deerfield and Waukegan Roads and call it Cadwell'sCorners.
The first public road is established from Chicago to the state line followingan old trail, the Milwaukee Trace, later called the Milwaukee Road. Bythe next year, a lumber wagon drawn by 4 horses operates as a stage betweenChicago and Milwaukee on the road.
The oldest Ott son, Jacob, is sent to the Deerfield area (Cadwell'sCorners) and finds a "Garden of Eden" of tall oak trees, fertileland, plentiful wild game and only a few settlers.
Caleb Cadwell and his wife, Eleanor, purchase 80 acres of heavily timberedland and 80 acres of prairie in Deerfield Township.
The rest of the Ott family comes and they build five of the ten log housesthat go up along Saunders Road, among them the Caspar Ott home.
Land in the area first becomes available to purchase and costs as littleas $1.25 per acre.
In the fall, Lyman Wilmot (1806-1896) brings his wife Clarissa to settleon 240 acres of wild land in the vicinity of Wilmot School.
In December, the area is named Le Clair.
Corduroy Road, the first road through Deerfield, is in operation. Laterit is renamed Telegraph Road, Lincoln Avenue and finally Waukegan Road.
The first township school, Wilmot School, a one-room, log schoolhousewith a dirt floor, is built on the northwest corner of Deerfield and WilmotRoads. Lyman Wilmot deeds land from his farm for its construction.
Cadwell School is built on the southwest corner of Deerfield and WaukeganRoads. Later known as the Deerfield Grammar School, it is moved east tothe present site of Deerfield School District 109 in 1903. In 1913, itburns down and is rebuilt the same year.
At a meeting to rename the town, John Millen suggests Deerfield afterhis hometown in Massachusetts.
The area's first saw mill is established along the Des Plaines River andadvances local construction from log to wood frame buildings.
In April, at the first meeting of Deerfield Township, Caleb Cadwell iselected its first supervisor. On May 4, he is appointed postmaster ofthe first post office in Deerfield, located in a house at 699 WaukeganRoad. Cadwell manufactures hubs and wiffle trees for wagons and carriages.
Elijah M. Haines describes Deerfield Township as "mostly timberedland" - except for a small skirt of the Grand Prairie. The soil isof an excellent quality and the farmers are generally in a prosperousand thriving condition.î
George Rockenbach remembered that as a boy in the 1850s he "lookedup and saw two panthers sitting in front of him" while going throughwoods in the Deerfield area. Sightings of pelicans, lynx and wolves arealso reported.
The Deerfield Cemetery on the northwest corner of Waukegan Road and CentralAvenue is chartered. The oldest date on a tombstone is 1848. In 1916,the ornamental iron gate is installed.
Abraham Lincoln is in Lake County campaigning for the presidency.
The U.S. Civil War. 58 soldiers from the Deerfield area serve in the UnionArmy during the War of the Rebellion. 15 are buried in the Deerfield Cemetery.
The Chicago Fire razes an area of three and one-half square miles andlights the sky over Deerfield so brightly that a newspaper can be readoutdoors at midnight.
The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad comes to Deerfield. Thetrain enables the town to transport goods and materials to Chicago andstrengthens local industry. A boxcar is used as a temporary station.
The Chicago Fire intensifies the demand for bricks. Suitable clay is foundalong the North Branch of the Chicago River and brickyards open in thearea. The National Brickyard, founded in 1896, employs many of the town'sresidents and is located on County Line Road (now Lake Cook Road).
Due to increasing development in the area, a third train station is builtalong Deerfield Road. In 1917, the station burns down, except for thefreight room. Two neighborhood women save the express packages.
With less than 500 residents, Deerfield is incorporated. John C. Enderis the first president.