Deerfield District 109 follows a 21st century model of education, constantly providing new opportunities to improve the way we teach and learn. We utilize emerging technology to enhance learning, facilitate communication, and engage our students in ways that equip them to flourish in the 21st century world.
We follow the National Educational Technology Standards (established by the International Society for Technology in Education). These standards guide our approach to educational technology:
• Demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology.
• Use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively (including at a distance), to support individual learning, and contribute to the learning of others.
• Apply digital tools to gather, evaluate, and use information.
• Use critical thinking skills to plan and conduct research, manage projects, solve problems, and make informed decisions using appropriate digital tools and resources.
• Understand human, cultural, and societal issues related to technology and practice legal and ethical behavior.
• Demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems, and operations.
To meet these standards, students utilize computer hardware: N-Computers, mini laptops, and Promethean interactive whiteboard technology. Stations of five energy-efficient N-Computers enhance opportunities for differentiation. Grade-level mobile mini laptop carts increase student engagement. Promethean interactive whiteboard technology allows for enhanced instructional experiences and increased student interaction and engagement.
Students also use a variety of software and online resources to meet the demands of the 21st century