A trained staff provides quality care to the children in the Deerfield District #109 schools. The District employs registered nurses at every school who is available to provide needed nursing care, first aid, administer daily physician-prescribed medication, and support student health plans. Mary Phelps, District Nurse oversees all health services.
Health Office Staff
Kipling Elementary School
South Park Elementary
Walden Elementary School
Wilmot Elementary School
Shepard Middle School
Caruso Middle School
Health Forms & Documents
When to Send Your Child Back to School
As if it weren’t difficult enough to figure out when to keep a child home from school, parents often find it equally hard to tell when it’s time to send their child back to school. Here are a few basic guidelines:
- Your child no longer exhibits signs of pain or illness.
- Your child is fever free for at least 24 hours. (100 F)
- Your child is sleeping well and appears energetic.
- Bodily functions have returned to normal.
- If antibiotics have been prescribed, your child needs to be on the medication for at least 24 hours or longer before returning to school. Be sure to follow the doctors’ recommendations for school participation and turn in notes if there are any restrictions on activity.
- The “runny nose” has diminished to the sniffles, easily controlled with wiping and the mucous is clear.
- Your child’s cough is infrequent and non-productive.
- Your child is eating, playing and pretty much back to normal.
Hearing & Vision Screening
During the school year, District 109 students may have their hearing and vision screened by school health personnel. Parents will be notified if results require a follow-up visit with an outside healthcare professional.
For Staff & Parents: CPR & AED Tutorials
District 109 encourages parents and staff to understand how to perform hands-only cardiopulmonary resuscitation and to use an automated external defibrillator.
State law requires the Illinois High School Association to post a hands-only cardiopulmonary resuscitation and automated external defibrillators training video on its website. District 109 encourages parents and staff to click here to view the video on the IHSA website. It will take less than 15 minutes of your time.
We offer staff online tutorials on AED use (staff can click here to log in and access that tutorial).