Freedom of Information Act Requests
All Freedom of Information Act requests should be directed to the Superintendent via email to email@example.com, or in writing to Superintendent's Office, Deerfield Schools, 517 Deerfield Road, Deerfield, IL 60015.
How many days does the public body have to respond to my FOIA request? A public body must respond to a FOIA request within 5 business days after the public body receives the request. Day 1 of the 5-day timeline is the first business day after the request is received by the public body. The date that the request was received by the public body does not count as “Day 1.” That time period may be extended for an additional 5 business days from the date of the original due date if:
- The requested information is stored at a different location;
- The request requires the collection of a substantial number of documents;
- The request requires an extensive search;
- The requested records have not been located and require additional effort to find;
- The requested records need to be reviewed by staff who can determine whether they are exempt from FOIA;
- The requested records cannot be produced without unduly burdening the public body or interfering with its operations; or
- The request requires the public body to consult with another public body who has substantial interest in the subject matter of the request.
If additional time is needed, the public body must notify the requester in writing within 5 business days after the receipt of the request of the statutory reasons for the extension and when the requested information will be produced.
District 109 publishes costs associated with satisfying FOIA requests, but does not pass those costs along to the requester.