Carvey CNC Machine
The Carvey machine is a CNC (Computer Numeric Control) router that easily takes designs you create in Easel and carves materials using a milling bit (similar to a drill bit). You can use a variety of materials in your projects based on their availability.The Challenge:Design a mosaic tile or create an object to be carved in the Carvey using Easel. You must learn and work with Easel for the first 7 days of the project before you can carve your design. You can make multiple designs in those 7 days and then choose the one you like most to carve. Your design must be original and unique. It must be your own artwork and design. YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED ONE TILE TO CARVE. So be sure that everything is right and you have spent time making it exactly how you want it.STEAM U Challenge Levels:
- You will need to create a login to start working in Easel. (Click here) Once you have reached the website click on Easel icon on top and create an account.
- You will be carving using the material called 'TWO-COLOR HDPE'. Be sure to select that as your material before you begin designing.
- Now that you know a bit about the tools we will be using, check out the Easel Live Project link below for a tutorial on creating a Mosaic Tile. The tutorial slideshow below may be helpful to watch either before, during or after the Easel Live Project video. It's up to you! Open Carvey Tutorial
- Design a mosaic tile that represents something about you. You may bring import other images, shapes, texts as long as you change them and merge them into an original design.
- CARVEY LOCATED IN THE STEM LAB - APP CAN BE DONE ON ANY COMPUTER
Challenge Resources:The great folks at Inventables have put together short video classes that will help guide you in designing a variety of projects. These are great projects to work on as part of your SMART goal or after you finish creating a mosaic tile. Check with Mr. Steinbach to ensure we have the materials necessary for you to complete your project. Make sure to watch the accompanying Easel Live YouTube video for each project.
- Do a completely original work of art to be carved. You must draw ALL objects, letters, shapes, etc. yourself. No text, designs, shapes, images can be taken from anywhere. Everything must be done by you.
Challenge Examples:Parker and Jack (Semester 1, 2017-2018, 7th grade)Charlie and Jared (Semester 1, 2017-2018, 7th grade)Harry Carvey Coding (Semester 1, 2017-18, 7th grade)