This page is a dedicated landing page to house information of interest for parents, students, and community members. When critical information is posted,
the community will be notified by email. As the Committee completes its work, a planning guide will be submitted to the co-interim superintendents for their review and feedback. The final planning guide will be posted to the district website.
In March 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic brought unprecedented challenges to the district. In an effort to protect the wellbeing of staff, students, and community members, schools were closed on March 13. Governor Pritzker also issued an extended stay-at-home order and ultimately directed that schools remain closed for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year.
As the district looks to the 2020-21 school year, it must closely and consistently review guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Illinois State Board of
Education, the Illinois Department of Public Health, the Lake County Department of Public Health and Community Health Center, the Governor’s Office, and other relevant agencies. The Reopening Committee is tasked with analyzing this guidance and developing local plans in alignment with guidance to ensure the safety of students and staff and the continuity of learning.
Committee Work Product:
The Committee will draft a document detailing the district’s planning in seven domains. These include:
• In-Person Learning
• Social/Emotional Well-being
• Physical Health & Safety
• Building Infrastructure & Custodial
Following each meeting of the Committee or various subcommittees, all District 109 staff will receive email communication summarizing what was discussed and which next steps are being considered.
Committee Meeting Timeline:
- May 2020 Committee membership is established.
- Early June 2020 Full Committee meeting. Dr. Filippi outlines the purpose of the Committee, defines the structure of the working groups, and provides any pertinent literature to the full Committee.
- June/Early July 2020 Subcommittees meet as needed; planning progresses to completion no later than July 20.
- Late July 2020 Full committee meeting to review finalized planning document.
- Early August 2020 Communication to community on finalized plans.
- Ongoing as Needed Subcommittees or full Committee meets to review progress or adapt planning as needed.
Download this information as a PDF here.