Lunch & Recess
Our new lunch schedule allows us to minimize the number of children outside during lunch recess. We will have two 55-minute lunch blocks with three grades attending each lunch/recess block.
Each class will be split into two groups. Group A will remain in the classroom with a designated supervisor and will eat lunch while group B plays outside. After approximately 25 minutes, group A will move outside and group B will return to the classroom for lunch.
If you choose to pick up your child and take them home for lunch, this is a commitment for the full 55-minute lunch block and will be required 5 days a week. These students will be checked out by a luncher supervisor. This supervisor will have a list of students who are going to be leaving. The luncher supervisor will ensure he/she has all of the students who should be leaving for lunch and he/she will then go to the cars waiting in the drop off/pick up line and put the correct child in each of the cars. This luncher supervisor will then be back at the end of the first lunch (which is also the beginning of the second lunch) to collect the students returning and send away the students who are leaving. Finally, he/she will be there at the end of lunch two to collect the students who are returning then.
Below is the lunch/recess schedule.
- 11:25 - 12:20 - K, 1, 5
- 12:25 - 1:20 - 2, 3, 4
- Please make sure you send a lunch with your child. Please make sure you send napkins, utensils and a drink each day. If your child does not have a lunch, we will attempt to call prior to their lunchtime in order to give you a chance to drop one off. If that fails, we might ask you to come pick up your child and take him or her out of the building for lunch that day. We will do everything we can to ensure your child has a lunch that day.
- Each student will use their designated three-sided divider during lunch.
- All students in the lunch group will open containers and prepare their lunch. Please send your child with containers that they can easily open with minimal assistance.
- After all students have opened their lunches/containers the supervisor will ask all students in that group (A or B) to remove their mask and begin eating.
- Supervisors will assist students in throwing away garbage in cans that do not remain in the classroom.
- All students will sanitize their hands after eating.
- Nut Free Classrooms - In order to accommodate lunch in our classrooms, we will be temporarily designating our classrooms as open food areas per our District 109 Food Allergy Management Plan; however, all classrooms will remain nut free. Peanuts and tree nuts will not be allowed as part of your child’s lunch so please plan accordingly in order to provide a safe learning environment for all students and staff. If you have concerns about your individual child and other necessary accommodations pertaining to food allergies, please do not hesitate to contact your building nurse or assistant/associate principal.
- All students and staff will wear a mask during recess.
- Students may play on the playground equipment or engage in non-contact activities.
- We will put out hula hoops, jump ropes, playground balls and other similar items for students to use at recess.
- Students may play games such as Four Square, HORSE, Hop Scotch and catch.
- Students may not play games such as tag, soccer, football and basketball.
- Students may bring books or materials for coloring outside
- Our recess program will evolve over the next few weeks as we establish and teach students safe play procedures and activities.
- Students will sanitize their hands after recess
It is very important that students are prepared to go outside each day for recess and PE. Please have students dress appropriately with a coat, hat, gloves, boots and pants, as we will go outside each day unless it is unsafe due to cold (temperatures under 20 degrees or 15 degrees with the windchill) or or ice/excessive snow.